Complying Development Certificates

With the introduction of the NSW Government's State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008 on 27 February 2009, a variety of developments including one and two-storey dwelling houses can now be approved as Complying Development. 

Complying Development Certificate Service

Our team of professionally qualified planners and building surveyors have a wealth of experience in development matters and will provide you with an informative and reliable quality service that is both efficient and cost-effective.

To provide certainty to you that your proposal can be approved as a Complying Development, you can lodge an Application for Written Advice on Complying or Exempt Development and we will provide written confirmation to you before you lodge your formal Complying Development Certificate (CDC) application. The current fee for this written advice is $120.00. We will deduct this fee from your Complying Development application fees when you lodge your application with us.

In addition to the above written advice, a Section 149 (2) Certificate for your Land Based Requirements is necessary and will tell you whether your property is suitable for Complying Development. We will also deduct the fee for this Certificate from your CDC fees when you lodge your application with us. The current fee for this Certificate is $53.00 per lot. Please see the Section 149(2) Certificate Application form for further information.

Lodging your application with Council

Once it has been established that your site is suitable for Complying Development, you can make application for a CDC. Your CDC will be issued by Council within the following time frames subject to all required information and plans being submitted to Council with your Complying Development Certificate Application Form with Checklist

Approval time frames:

  • 20 days for works associated with additions to or construction of new residential development
  • 10 days for all other works.

The Complying Development Checklist is designed to minimise delays, by helping you to fully complete your application form and to prepare and provide all the necessary plans and documentation. If you have any questions or require assistance, please contact our duty planner on 9911 6555 or call in to our Customer Service Centre at 1A Marlborough Street, Drummoyne between the hours of 8.30am and 1.00pm Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. 

Once we have checked that your application is complete, we will ensure that your Complying Development Application is duly processed by our friendly Customer Service staff. At this stage, your application will be allocated to one of our Accredited Certifiers. Council will acknowledge the submission of the application at which point you will be advised of the assessing officer's name and direct contact details. This Council officer will conduct an inspection of your property and co-ordinate the finalisation of your application with you. The processing of your application will then be completed and the plans stamped ready to be sent via mail or collected at our Customer Service Centre.

Please note that you may need to pay bonds and levies (see below) prior to the release of the CDC and associated documentation.

When can you start building?

The last step in the process involves the appointment of a Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) to oversee and certify the construction works as they proceed. Council's Certification Team provide a wide variety of services including Building Code of Australia advice and building inspection services and you can appoint Council as your PCA. See the Building certification/PCA section of the web page for more information.

Once you have collected your approved CDC and stamped plans and appointed Council as your PCA, you are ready to start building.

Complying Development Fees

Council has formulated its fees to reflect industry practice. We believe you will find our fees are cost-effective and competitive. Please refer to Council's Schedule of Fees and Charges for current rates.

In addition to the above fees, you will also be required to pay a Damage Deposit in accordance with Council's Schedule of Fees and Charges. Your Damage Deposit is refunded once your building works are complete and subject to no damage being caused to Council's infrastructure, (eg., footpaths, kerbs and gutter etc.) as a result of the construction works. Depending on the type and cost of works, a Section 94 Development Contribution or Section 94A levy may apply.

The City of Canada Bay Council has adopted a Section 94 or Section 94A Contributions Plan. These plans allow funds to be raised from Development Applications and Complying Development Certificates. The funds are then used by Council for the construction and improvement of local infrastructure and public facilities.

The current Section 94A levies are as follows:

Proposed Cost of Development    Maximum Percentage of Levy
Up to $100,000   Nil
$100,001 to $200,000   0.5%
More than $200,001   1%

The current Section 94 contribution levies can be found at the following tables:

Page last updated on: 13/10/16

NSW Housing Code

A new home, renovation or improvement can be approved in ten days or less without the need for a DA if it meets criteria in the NSW Government's Housing Code.

For further information on the NSW Housing Code visit the 
NSW Planning and Environment website or call the Department of Planning and Environment on 1300 305 695.

Council's Certification Team

For specialist building certification work on all residential and commercial developments contact the City of Canada Bay's Certification Team on 9911 6407 or visit the Certification Team webpage below:

If you require a new chat session, please refresh your browser

Your details