Planning Proposals

Planning proposals
Planning proposals

A Planning Proposal is required where a landowner or stakeholder seeks to amend the planning controls contained within Council’s Local Environmental Plan (LEP).

Land rezoning is an example of a process that requires a Planning Proposal to amend the planning controls relating to a parcel(s) of land. Rezoning land can result in an increase or decrease to the range of permissible uses or change the development standards that are applicable. Land can only be rezoned through a formal amendment to the Canada Bay Local Environmental Plan 2013.

What is a Local Environmental Plan (LEP)?

A LEP is prepared by Council to guide planning decisions for the local government area and is principally made up of a written instrument and associated maps. Through zoning and development standards, it allows Council to moderate the ways in which land is used.

A LEP is prepared in accordance with the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (EP&A Act 1979), and Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000 by the Minister for Planning and Infrastructure.

Planning Proposal to amend the LEP

The preparation of a planning proposal is the first step in making an amendment to the existing LEP. A planning proposal is a document that explains the intended effect of, and justification for, the proposed amendment.  Planning Proposals are to be prepared in accordance with the following guidelines:

Council's role

The first step in the process is to talk to a Planner in Council's Strategic Planning team. Staff can explain the process and provide advice specific to the proposal.

A planning proposal must be formally considered at a Council meeting. Council officers will make a report to Council on the merits of the proposal.  Council does not have to support applications for rezoning of land. Similarly, a Council resolution to prepare a planning proposal or an amendment to the LEP does not necessarily guarantee that the proposal or rezoning will proceed.

Online tracking of a Planning Proposal

An online tracking system is available for any person to follow the process of a Planning Proposal once it has been submitted to the Department of Planning and Infrastructure by Council.

What information needs to be submitted with a Planning Proposal Application?

A planning proposal application must be accompanied by a completed Council application form as well as additional information to support the proposal.

Planning proposal applications will require external planning expertise on behalf of the applicant. It is recommended that a town planning consultant be engaged for the preparation of planning proposal applications, regardless of whether the proposal is of a minor or major nature. Other specialist consultants may also be needed to provide technical input to the proposal.

Planning Proposal Application Form


Minor LEP or DCP - $10,300  

Major LEP or DCP - $61,800 

Note: A Minor LEP generally refers to a single allotment spot rezoning generated by a planning anomaly or inconsistency, or minor amendments such as the modification of a development standard. These rezoning are generally not complex or contentious. A Major LEP refers to all other rezoning applications submitted to Council. Please confirm with Council’s Strategic Planning team whether the Planning Proposal is “minor” or “major” prior to submitting Planning Proposal. Fees for both major and minor LEP amendments are not refundable.

Further Information

Further information about the process can be obtained from the NSW Department of Planning and Environment

Council's Strategic Planning team can be contacted on 9911 6555.

Station Precinct Rhodes

Planning Proposal – 25 George Street, North Strathfield

Planning Proposal - 160 Burwood Road Concord

Page last updated on: 10/08/18

Canada Bay LEP 2013

View the Canada Bay LEP 2013 and associated LEP Maps on the
NSW Legislation website.

If you require a new chat session, please refresh your browser

Your details